1. People Point Out That You’re Highly Sensitive You’ve been told all your life you are too sensitive, overly emotional, or wear your heart on your sleeve. People tell you that you pick up on cues or feelings they don’t even notice.You may have been the peacemaker in your family — the one who tried to keep everyone happy and calm because discord was so upsetting and painful for you. You might also notice that friends gravitate to you whenever they have a problem or they are dealing with an emotional challenge because you can intuit their emotions and help them feel better. 2. You Feel Other’s Feelings You’ve noticed how sensitive you are to the emotions of others. Even before they tell you how they are feeling, you already know. You can enter a room and have a sense of the general mood of the environment.Sometimes this can be overwhelming because it’s hard to just relax and enjoy a social occasion. You feel too many emotional vibes to be able to tune out and just have fun.
3. Negativity Overwhelms You Where others can tolerate raised voices, conflict, or anger, it sends you over the edge.You almost feel physically sick or in pain as a result of the negative energy around you. You crave peace and calm.You might find yourself being a “people pleaser” with your spouse and family in order to keep things calm.But even an undercurrent of negative energy in your home is enough to make you anxious and disconcerted.
4. Being in Crowded Places Overwhelms YouYou don’t like being in malls, sporting events, airports or other public places with crowds of people. You feel suffocated and overly-excited. You can’t wait to leave.Being in these crowded spaces is like being in a vortex of emotional chum. It takes real effort to find your center and remain calm.amazon button for self-care for introverts book cover
5. You Possess A Strong Intuition You seem to know things without being told. You sense what needs to be done or what’s about to happen. Your gut feelings nearly always prove to be correct.Often the phone will ring, and you’ll know who it is before you pick up. Or you’ll be thinking about a friend or family member, and they will call you within minutes.Walking into an elevator or down the street, you know who to approach or avoid simply by sensing the energy of the person.
6. You Have a Low Threshold for Pain More than others you know, you have a lower threshold for pain tolerance. You can’t stand getting shots, feeling nauseated, or dealing with a minor injury.You may even have had a doctor tell you to stop complaining so much or act surprised that you feel pain with a procedure others find innocuous.In fact, the entire vibe of a doctor’s office can send you reeling because you pick up on the discomfort and fear in the other people around you.Read Related: Empathic Listening: 8 Strategies For Compassionate Communication
7. You Have Strong Physical Awareness You are deeply in tune with your own body and the changes that occur. You might notice you’re getting ill before most people would.You might also have physical responses to the emotions you feel so keenly — a headache, muscle pains, burning sensations, and gastrointestinal disorders.You pay more attention than most to the signals your body is sending you. Sometimes this can make you appear to be a hypochondriac — but more often than not, your concerns have merit.